We are proud to partner with many organizations serving the local community. These are a few we help in providing community assistance annually:
- Troy People Concerned: Backpacks and other projects
- Thanksgiving gift cards to needy families
- Bring Him a Gift (gifts for select needy families at Christmas)
- Presbyterian Women Ingathering
- Easter gift cards
- Collect food for Food Pantry
- Host free Community Dinners
- Mitten Tree: at Christmas time hats, mittens, gloves and scarves are collected and donated to COTS (Coalition On Temporary Shelter).
- Stuff a Van: gently used clothing is collected throughout the year for those in need and brought to Fort Street Presbyterian Church of Detroit for distribution. This is an ongoing ministry and is especially important during the colder months.
- Host American Red Cross Blood Drives
- Community Support Programs meeting weekly at our church
Volunteering in our Community
We recently recognized several of our members who regularly volunteer their time and talents in the surrounding community. Among the many volunteer hours our members contribute, several are spent weekly at Haven in Pontiac, The Welcome Inn in Royal Oak, and teaching English as a Second Language to our community members.
Our Book Club meets the 4th Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. Books are chosen by a consensus of the participants and we read a wide variety of titles, both fiction and nonfiction. Everyone is welcome so please come when you can! Here are some of our upcoming titles and meeting dates for 2017:
Jan. 25th: Brooklyn by Colm Toibin
Feb. 22nd: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
March 22nd: When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalamithi
Join us for Movie Morning the second Wednesday of every month (September-May) at 10:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary. We always have a current movie, a little trivia contest and popcorn. It’s a fun time for all.
Summer English Workshop
This conversational English class offers a relaxed atmosphere for practice speaking with Americans about culture and common everyday topics. It will be similar in format to the Troy English Workshop at the Troy Community Center, which is not offered in the summer. A few of the same volunteers will co-lead the groups. This class is free for adults of all ages, and is offered on Saturday mornings from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. through July 23rd. (There will be no class on Saturday, July 2nd.) Please email the church if you are interested in attending.